Thursday 24 January 2013

Simple System for remembering PIN Numbers

Many of the memory systems seem over complicated for little things.

Particularly for PIN numbers, we don't need a formal number alphabet.

The great thing about numbers is that they are all different, at least in English:

  • One
  • Two
  • Three
  • Four
  • Five
  • Six
  • Seven
  • Eight
  • Nine
  • Zero
I know you don't need to have them listed, but look, none of them rhyme, none of them are particularly similar, which means if you have a short PIN e.g. 9843

You don't need a complicated system, just find words that rhyme with the numbers and use them in a phrase. You can add any other words into the phrase so long as they don't rhyme with one of the numbers.

e.g.
  • Nine - mine, fine, line
  • Eight - gate, fate, mate, rate
  • Four - door, floor, bore
  • Three - wee, tree, she, twee

I don't need to have a specific set of words, I can use whatever is appropriate for the phrase e.g.
  • a Line at the Gate was For a Tree
  • the Mine(rs) Fate? Pour the Tea
When I practice recalling the phrase I say it in English in my head and overdub the number on the word at the same time.

If it is a pin I have to physically enter in a keypad then I practice recalling the phrase as I move my fingers to the keys to build in some muscle association as well.

I practice the recall of the number, phrase and movement while holding the card or pass that the PIN is for, or visualize the keypad that I have to use.

This means I'm using a system based on rhyme. I practice it in multiple ways to build associations with the context the PIN will be used in. I use my imagination to build the phrase to make it novel and memorable. 

We can, and should, design our own systems to help us remember things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment