Wednesday 23 January 2013

Link Method


Also known as: Link Method, Chain System
Given a list, link the first thing to the second thing using a ridiculous or exaggerated picture, see the pictures.

The link system involves learning a list by chaining together the items in the list through some sort of ridiculous or illogical association. 

The link system also involves visualising the items and the association. e.g. bottle, remote control, CD, book, car, photo
The links are between pairs and construct an association between each pair.

 i.e. in the list above, create a link between bottle and remote control, a separate image to link remote control and CD, another image to link CD to book, etc.
  1. I might imagine a tiny bottle and I try 'in vain' to stuff a remote control in it. 
  2. Then I might imagine the remote control that shoots out CD's when I press a button. 
  3. When I pick up the CD I can imagine that I'm having to hold the edges of the CD while a big book is balanced on top of it and I have to hold the book steady as I walk across the room. etc. 
The hardest part of the link system is remembering the first item so try to associate it with the place you'll need the list, or the thing you'll use when you need the list.
I use the link system to remember my PIN numbers and associate each link association chain with the card I use it with.

Principles:
  • Associate each item with the next.
  • Make association exaggerated or ridiculous or illogical
  • Learning loves novelty
Hints:
  • out of proportion to each other
  • “in action” moving or in use, a mini-story or scene
  • increase the numbers “millions of x”
  • substitute items for one another
  • to recall the first one associate it with the place, time, person where you will need to trigger it

No comments:

Post a Comment