Wednesday 23 January 2013

Recall Not Memory


It doesn't help us to say “I have a bad memory”. You probably have a perfectly fine memory, you just haven't learned any techniques for 'recall'.

Look at that word “re-call”. To call forth again. To bring back something which you put away. 
Most of my “memory” problems were down to:
  • not putting something away in the first place, or
  • not putting it away to allow me to get at it again.
Lack of technique was my problem, and a lack of practice with those techniques. As a result this site is as practical as you are ever going to get. I will not overload you with theory. Science is still studying our ability to remember things, and while they do that we already have centuries of techniques for helping us recall stuff that we can learn and use.

So let us keep this simple. Having a good memory means that you can store something away for later retrieval when you choose to. We do that through association with something we already have stored. That process is what we will set out to explore and learn.

And I guarantee you can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment