Saturday 30 March 2013

Studying Techniques for memory recall

Plenty of techniques exist to help you study quickly, and you can use them to help you recall what you study:

Review the territory
Survey the material. Skip through it all quickly. Read the summaries. Look at the images. Get a feel for the structure.
I imagine that when I do this I'm blocking out space in my brain to put all the information I'm going to learn. I have no idea if the brain works like this, but it gives me a simple model of justification that works for me.

Create Questions
Write down questions about what you think you are going to learn. Check that the material you have studied answered those questions.
This helps you identify 'why' you want to study and remember the information. It also helps you identify what you already know about the topic.

Read it
Yup, you have to read it. I usually read it a number of times. I read it fast. I read it slow. I read it backwards. I read it in chunks.

Make Notes and Review
Having read it, I make notes. Sometimes on a mind map, sometimes as unstructured text, sometimes as a visual adhoc map. Whatever helps me review it.
The notes are really there to help me review. I can review what I've written against what is in my head. I can review my notes against the text to see how complete my understanding of the top is. i.e my notes don't have to contain all the information, but do they trigger the recall of the information from my brain? That is their main purpose.

Repeat
Yes, repeat each of the steps, in various orders, until you are confident with the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment